The Jack Hernandez Phronesis Award and Lecture
The 2023 Jack Henandez Phronesis Award & The Jack Hernandez Lecture Series was celebrated Wednesday, September 6.
About the Award
Phronesis is the Greek word for “practical wisdom.” The distinctive mark of phronesis, and thus the purview of this proposed award, is applying one's professional expertise, one's academic training and skillset, to practical matters in one's community.
Announcing The Jack Hernandez Phronesis Award & The Jack Hernandez Lecture Series
The recipient will receive a check in the amount of $1,500.00 and a plaque in his/her honor. The recipient will present a lecture following the Board of Trustee's meeting in April and will be held in the Levan Center.
A perpetual plaque of all recipients will be displayed in the Norman Levan Center for the Humanities at Bakersfield College.
Any employee can nominate or provide supporting evidence for nominations. Members of the Award Committee may nominate or provide supporting evidence for nominations, but if so they must recuse themselves from the work of the committee for that year.
Those nominating someone will need to collect the evidence of their nominee's contributions and show how their academic training informed those contributions. This award is not just a philanthropy award. As its title indicates, the award is intended to honor people who have used their formal academic training to improve their community in practical ways.
- Chancellor of the Kern Community College District (or designee): Sonya Christian
- Presidents of the three colleges (or designees): Zav Dadabhoy, Sean Hancock, Claudia Habib
- Academic Senate Presidents of the three colleges (or designees): Nick Strobel, Yvonne Mills, Robert Simpkins
- Classified Presidents of all three colleges (or designees): Chris Glaser, Vern Butler, Mike Barrett
- Director of the Levan Center: Reggie Williams
- Daughter of Jack Hernandez: Laura Ehlers
- January 10, 2023: Announcement & call for nominations
- February 6, 2023: Nominations close
- February 7, 2023: Committee meets to review nominations
- March 9, 2023: (Board of Trustees Meeting): Recipient unveiled
- September 6, 2023: Dinner & Lecture
2022 | Nick Strobel