An accessible quality of life can be found in Bakersfield, California. Enjoying proximity to mountains, ocean, and large urban areas, residents appreciate the shorter commute times, greater space, lower cost of living, and other quality of life amenities that benefit everyday living. Visitors can still find the charm of Old California while enjoying all of the conveniences of modern living, from shopping and services to theater and events, to parks and gathering places, and with a regional airport.
Each community served by the colleges within the Kern Community College District can boast of its unique character and points of interest. Listed below is just a sample of the variety and breadth of activities available:
With a population near 400,000 people, Bakersfield is the most urban of the three communities served by the Kern Community College District. The city and surrounding area offer a diverse range of activities and interesting things to do, both indoors and outdoors. Its location in the southern Central Valley guarantees sunny days—on average 272 of them, making it a wonderful place to live, work, and enjoy. Adding to its allure, Bakersfield is easily accessible to other popular destinations: LA is 110 miles, Sequoia National Park is less than 130 miles, Yosemite is 170 miles away, and Las Vegas is only 285 miles. Bakersfield is a prime location for young families and seasoned adults alike. Known for music, good food, and no lack of things to do, Bakersfield can keep you busy every day of the year!
For more information about Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce
- Bakersfield Economic Development
- City of Bakersfield
Cerro Coso Community College’s main campus is located in Ridgecrest in the upper Mojave Desert and is referred to as the Indian Wells Valley campus. This campus features an astronomical observatory as well as a solar photovoltaic field, making it unique among other community colleges in California. Other campus sites include Edwards Air Force Base, Lake Isabella, and Mammoth Lakes/Bishop
Ridgecrest is known for its beautiful sunsets and its warm, sunny days. Situated between the Sierra Nevada range and the deep desert of Death Valley, Ridgecrest is within an hour’s drive to popular fishing, hiking, hunting, sailing, and skiing locations. Points of interest in and around Ridgecrest include:
For more information about Ridgecrest
- Ridgecrest Chamber of Commerce
- Ridgecrest Economic Development
- Indian Wells Valley Economic Development
- City of Ridgecrest
The East Kern Campus at Edwards Air Force Base offers classes that are accessible to the general public. The other towns served by this location include Mojave, Boron, and California City and other communities in San Bernardino and Kern Counties in California.
For more information about Tehachapi
At an elevation of 7,880 feet, Mammoth Lakes lies at the edge of a geologically active area that includes hot springs and rhyolite domes. There is a ski area, mountain hiking, and forest hiking—camping and fishing are popular summer activities. Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort is the top ski destination in California.
For more information about Mammoth Lakes/Bishop
- Mammoth Lakes
- Mammoth Lakes Chamber of Commerce
- Mammoth Lakes Economic Development
- Bishop Chamber of Commerce
- Bishop Economic Development
Porterville is a community of approximately 60,000 people located in the San Joaquin Valley in Tulare County, California. It’s small-town charm and family-oriented atmosphere make it an attractive place to live and work. Porterville serves as the gateway to the great outdoors and is only three hours from the coast or metro Los Angeles.
For more information about Porterville
- Porterville Chamber of Commerce
- Porterville Economic Development
- Education — Porterville Unified School District
Activities & Events
- Historical landmarks: https://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/visitors/historical_landmarks.php
- Golf Courses: https://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/departments/parks___leisure/parks___facilities/golf_course/index.php
- Eagle Mountain Casino: https://www.eaglemtncasino.com/
- The Barn Theatre: https://portervillebarntheater.com/
- Porterville Fair: https://portervillefair.com/
- Pioneer Days: https://www.ci.porterville.ca.us/departments/parks___leisure/special_events/pioneer_days/index.php