The Statement of Legislative Principles is adopted by the Board of the Kern Community College District to provide parameters for consideration of matters pending before the California Legislature. The following constitute the core principles of engagement guiding the District’s positions on legislation:
- Strengthen the Kern Community College District’s ability to accomplish its mission and strategic plan to provide outstanding educational programs and services that are responsive to our diverse students and communities.
- Increase student success and completion.
- Enhance and strengthen the local district governing board model to maintain local authority and control in the administration of the colleges.
- Represent the interests of Kern Community College District students on legislation that impacts educational opportunities and student success.
- Protect the fiscal integrity of the system, the District and its Colleges.
- Seek legislative support for the principles and policies established through the system’s budget process in accordance with the priorities established by the Board of the Kern Community College District.
- Assure adequate representation by the Kern Community College District on appropriate boards, commissions, task forces, study groups, and other bodies that may have an impact on the District.
- Develop legislative positions through the Kern Community College District Board Legislative Committee and advocate judiciously so our voice will have the greatest impact.